Monday, July 28, 2008

Podcasting: telecommuting for teachers?

Recently I was travelling up the coast to see some friends. While I was happy to visit them, I did lament the fact that I would be missing "The Greaseman" as well as other radio personalities to whom I listen regularly. A friend of mine reminded me when I came back that most shows are podcasted on the internet, and as such they are usually archived on the sites so I could go and hear what I thought I had missed.

Half of the people I know telecommute at least a couple of days a week. Just a week ago our own Ken Ulman announced that a lot of the county government's workers were going to be able to telecommute in response to the high cost of driving to work. They made a point of stating that teachers would still be required to drive to work everyday.

Does that make sense to anybody? If so, can they please explain it to me? After all, with podcasting, we could spend all summer recording our lectures (or just record them during one year, and use those recordings until they need to be updated)and have students e-mail us assignments that we could grade at home. I can't be the first person to come up with this idea, as evidenced by this story.

I know, I know: we do way more than just lecture in the classroom. But as long as the technology exists, let's make it work for us.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I definately think we should have that option available to us as well =) Maybe in the near future. But if they really don't need us in the classroom it would probably make it harder to justify the raises we should be getting.

MAM said...

Have you heard about Moodle? Check it out at http://moodle.org/. It's like free blackboard. You could record lessons for snow days...